Thursday, October 10, 2013

Job identity?

I'll be honest now. After a month and a half of recruiting through one of Canada's best (and most expensive) business schools, I still don't have a job. It's not easy to admit, but it's been easier to deal with since I was unsuccessful earlier this year when I recruited for a summer internship.

Why does the job search feel so frustrating? I've come to realize that it's because it causes so much pressure to rely on myself. Recently, I've struggled with the fact that I do "all the right things" to get a good job- I'm always on top of schoolwork, I network with all the recruiters and send them thank you emails, I've built up a great resume, and I present myself as professional and friendly as possible. Yet I haven't seen the fruit of this. My sense of worthlessness increases with each rejection letter. The fact is, my own efforts does not promise that I will get a job. (Of course, I believe God has the sovereignty to bless me with a job if it's his will.)

This puts into perspective that maybe being a Christian is something better. Right now, the hope of getting a job is not guaranteed, no matter what the business school statistics say. But the hope of living in heaven with God after I die is a hope that is 100% guaranteed. It's a hope that can't be frustrated, it can't be taken away, and it isn't determined by being in the right place at the right time. It's hope that's real because of faith.

I'm beginning to understand how God is the only way we as humans can be satisfied. Life carries on so much uncertainty that it causes us to doubt ourselves, other people, and our situations. When I let the things of life become my identity, such as my job status, my friends, my fashion, or my wealth, I lose sense of hope and security the moment I lose these things. But identity in Christ is at another level. It can't be taken away by anyone or anything. Therefore, hope in eternal life will never fail and that makes me so joyful!

An encouragement to you and to myself is to find identity in Christ only. That is the warmest, softest pillow you will ever find to embrace you with comfort when uncertainties in life cause you to doubt. Please pray for me and for other friends to maintain this mindset with the pressures of finding a job or getting into grad school for next year!

Love,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment