Thursday, August 29, 2013

A Journey's End

みんあさん、ひさしぶり。すみません、いそがしかった。

I'm so sorry for a late late blog! Coming back home has been so busy without much time to stop and reflect on Japan. I'm grateful for an August school course that has ended unexpected early this week so I have a few days to recharge and write this blog before the fall term begins.

My last three days in Japan were probably the most tiring days, but I loved all of it, so it didn't feel like work! The VBS (Vacation Bible School) program during these three days ran from 10am-2pm and we planned games, songs, crafts, a Bible lesson, and food each day, while teaching English to the kids. Although the program was short, compared to the VBS's I've done at home, it was very jam packed and required a lot of energy.

My favourite part was actually teaching the Bible lessons. Since some kids may not have ever heard of Jesus or God, we introduced the fundamentals of Christianity to lead up to the gospel. The first day, we taught how God was the creator of all the animals, plants, nature, and people. "God created everything" was the English phrase of the day and our butterfly craft was an extension of the beautiful things of the world God created. On day two, we presented "God made you special." In this lesson, we had an exercise where kids stood up if we asked who was a girl, who was a boy, who loved baseball, who loved to sing, etc, to demonstrate that everyone was unique, and therefore special. After, we passed around a secret shoebox with mysterious glitter pouring out of it. I told the kids that someone veeeery important to God was in that box and that they could take a peek but had to keep it a secret from the others. One by one, the kids lifted the lid and found them face-to-face with a mirror, and each one would exclaim,ああ、わかった!meaning, "Oh, I understand!" It warmed up my heart so much to hear the kids realize that each one was special to God. M told me later that when she was trying to control a little troublemaker, he looked in the box and she explained to him that it was a mirror because he was the special person. He suddenly quieted down and she felt that he probably didn't hear that at home very often. Japanese families are not very affectionate with one another and children are sometimes pressured to perform well in all areas of their life in order to not shame the family. With this, my prayer is that the kids really understand that their value isn't in their earthly success, but in being God's creation.


The lessons led up to the gospel teaching on the last day- "God loves you." However, this proved to be a challenge for us to understand how to explain Jesus' death on the cross in a way the Japanese kids would relate to. Kids in Canada and US are made aware that they are guilty because of their sins. These are the bad things they think, say, or do that break God's heart, and they need God's forgiveness to take away their sins. Japanese kids, on the other hand, are in a culture that already draws attention to their shame and the need to restore themselves. Japanese people really put an effort at maintaining cleanliness everywhere, all the time. They must take shoes off at the door on lowered floors so dirt doesn't drift in, they use bathroom slippers whenever using the toilet so germs aren't carried out, and garbage is well taken care of and sorted. With this mindset, we told the kids that there was Someone who could make them clean forever. They wouldn't have to feel shameful or dirty anymore. Jesus, because he was perfect and died for the shameful things we've done, saved us so we only have to be cleansed of our sins once and for all. Although I didn't expect any instant responses from the kids, I really pray for and ask for your prayers for their hearts to openly inquire about Jesus and accept his gift of cleanliness.

One more amazing thing I witnessed on this trip- that God's mission field is literally everywhere! M and I went to the bathhouse every night because there were no showers at the church. We quickly made お姉さん (older sister) friends who also frequented the bathhouse. M explained to me that normally women would not open up easily or become friends in any other setting, like in a convenience store or a grocery store. It was only because you couldn't do much else while sitting in a hot tub with other naked ladies besides look away awkwardly or talk to them. This one lady we became close to told us a little about her life and where's she's travelled, and a few times we had the chance to tell her why we were in Japan. In the end, we felt intimate enough to invite her to church. Although she was busy that Sunday, I was really happy that we were able to plant a seed and be an example of a Christian to her. She was actually so unexpectedly nice to us, offering a ride home, bringing us candy, and buying tayaki (a common festival snack) from far away because I really wanted to eat a real one from Japan. I honestly felt so blessed and she's even recently sent me an email asking me how I'm doing!

Looking back on this trip now, I wouldn't have asked for a better experience! I am so grateful and touched by people's prayers and financial support. I really felt on fire for God, where I had no option but to trust God and not rely on myself, especially because of my inadequacy. God provided over and above all my needs in even in my unemployment and simple faith. He also gave me the opportunity to listen to people's stories and serve them despite my limited Japanese. 
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Going forward, I hope to return to Japan for a longer term to build on my relationships with the church, the missionary, the kids, and the bathhouse lady. My goal is to improve my Japanese so I don't need to rely on a translator and to raise my own funds so I won't put a burden on others. I want to see more of what God can do in Japan!

どうもありがとうございました!

Love,
J

PS. Click here for a link to all my Japan photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment